Brow lift San Diego
A youthful brow at rest is positioned above the orbital rim, with a gradual arch laterally, and the lateral end or ‘tail’ of the brow located higher than the inner end. As one ages, it is common for the brow to assume a flat or horizontal position. If brow becomes droopy or looks heavy, a brow lift is a time-tested method for rejuvenating the upper third of the face.
Dr. William Umansky and Dr. Jeffrey Umansky of Umansky Medical Center, La Jolla – San Diego, often perform this procedure in conjunction with a facelift or eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty).
What is a Brow Lift?
A brow lift (also known as a forehead lift or browplasty) reverses the effects of gravity and elevates the soft tissues of the forehead to restore a more youthful contour to the forehead skin, upper eyelids and eyebrows. There are various brow-lift methods, which involve different incision lengths in different locations.
How is a Brow Lift procedure performed?
There are several types of brow lift, and the selection of the most suitable technique depends on each patient’s facial characteristics, bone structure, skin condition, and aesthetic desires.
Brow lift procedures have evolved from open techniques to more complex short incision and endoscopic techniques. A brow lift usually involves incisions in the hair-bearing scalp, but incisions may also be made in front of the hair line or the upper eyelids. The type of brow lift procedure chosen will be based on the facial features and aesthetic preferences.
- Open Brow Lift. This is the “gold standard” for brow lifting and is time tested. The incision is made across the scalp or just in front of the hairline, and the skin is lifted up from the underlying tissues. The frown muscles are often resected. Excess skin is removed and the brow is closed in its new position. Other names sometimes used to describe open brow lift include classic or coronal brow lift.
- Endoscopic Brow Lift. An endoscope (a long, thin tube with a light at the end attached to a video camera) is inserted through several tiny incisions in the scalp. This allows the surgeon to see and work on the various internal structures of the forehead. The endoscopic technique requires very minimal incisions, but it may not be equally beneficial for all patients.
Recovery and Healing Following Brow Lift
Typically the patient will go home with a head dressing, which is usually removed on the first day after surgery. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Sutures or staples are removed within 10 days. Most swelling and bruising is gone in 7-10 days.
Brow lift patients are usually able to return to work within a week and to full activity within two weeks.
Sensation in the forehead may be temporarily reduced. The feeling will begin to return over the first few weeks after surgery. The scalp sometimes feels ‘itchy’ as the nerves recover. Total numbness behind the incision in an open brow lift can persist for 9-12 months post-surgery.
What are the Risks and Possible Complications?
Fortunately, significant complications from brow lift surgery are infrequent. However, all surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Certain risks can be minimized by following both the pre- and post-op advice and instructions provided by our board-certified plastic surgeons.
Some of the potential complications of all surgeries include:
- Hematoma or seroma (an accumulation of blood or fluid under the skin that may require removal)
- Changes in sensation or nerve injury
- Scarring or alopecia
- Unsatisfactory results that may necessitate additional procedures.
Common Concerns with Brow Lift Procedure:
Open (Coronal) Technique: The incision is across the top of the scalp, beginning above the ears and hidden within the hair.
Endoscopic Forehead Lift: Incisions may include three short incisions along the top of the scalp and a temple incision on each side. These incisions will be totally hidden within the hair.
Additional procedures that may enhance results are Upper Eyelid Lift and Facelift, as well as other facial procedures and implants.
“I absolutely LOVE the results of my Brow Lift. Dr. Umansky and his staff went above and beyond to take care of me and provide the best results possible!”
Have a question about this procedure?
Call 858-281-4560 or complete the form below.